I was recently on a road trip, and as I’ve written before, I like to combine travel with shopping trips for acrewd. So as I made my way back home from a lovely wedding in Grayton Beach, FL, I found myself with a little time and nobody to be bothered with my incessant need to shop. I slowed through a small main street in Alabama and I looked around - I had hit the gold mine! Before me was a restaurant, a (cleanish) bathroom and four antique shops within walking distance. I parked, I had arrived…

So, imagine the emoticon of sadness that typed into my heart when I walked to each store and saw that every single one was closed :*(  There, you don’t have to imagine because I went ahead and typed it.

Three closed for good and one due to the owner's recent back surgery (my condolences as this is completely excusable). It got me thinking about how the economy has hit some areas worse than others. I imagine at one time there was enough business in antiquing that 4 stores were justifiable in this tiny market. Now, half of the store fronts on this strip were empty. Yet in other regions I've traveled, the need for antiques seem un-phased by the decline in purchase of luxury goods. Sadly, these remote stores often have the greatest and most unique finds. When they close, where do the treasures now go?
Which brings me to my second lesson in becoming an acrewd-esque fashion treasure hunter: 

Step 2: Always do your research

The internet can be your best friend when it comes to shopping. When I'm new or travelling to an area, I like to do a Yelp search for thrift stores nearby. When searching for estate sales listings, I use this site for the dates and cities I’m interested in. I've used directories, forums, and good old fashion word of mouth from friends and strangers to find great shopping districts across the US and even the world (Nelson, New Zealand is where I found my favorite lazy day t-shirt of all time). I also make sure to call stores listed on a map to make sure that they are still open or that their hours haven't changed (simple move but anytime I skip this step I regret it.) Although I didn't waste any time or go out of my way when I happened upon this last strip of empty storefront - it's important to research to make sure your time is well spent. Or you can always save yourself the time by browsing the inventory of acrewd's e-boutique where you're guaranteed to find something amazing! Your time, your choice.