Tuesday, November 20, 2012

DIY: Chair Covers

This month I resolved to complete some of the do it yourself projects that I've been contemplating. Moving and finally having the space to do so was a huge motivational factor, but even more motivating was the state of my kitchen table chairs after several years in storage. One word: Yuck.



I was racking my brain on how to clean the dingy, stained upholstery and restore it to it's original color when I realized that I loathed said color. It was plain, boring and just not mine or my husband's style. So I got on the internet machine and found a tutorial and went at it! Here's how it turned out:

Following the steps of the tutorial, I began by removing one of the covers using a flat head screwdriver and pliers. If you have any fabric on the bottom to prevent fray, try to preserve this as it will already be cut to size to re-use (something my wonderful husband Patrick had to point out to me after I mangled the first one). Then take this piece of fabric to your nearest fabric store (I chose my nearest Hancock but any will do) and used it as a pattern to measure 4 seat covers. I picked an outer fabric as well as a lining one for extra cushion and to prevent any dye from bleeding onto the cushion. I bought about 1.5 yards each and bonus points to me because they were having a 40% off sale from the clearance rack. Here's a shot of the outer fabric pattern:



Very different from the plain cream originally on it, but when I saw how easy this whole process actually is I can't wait to change again when the mood strikes!

Now, use the chair cover you removed as a pattern to cut the new covers from. I used a rotary cutter and pad but scissors will do for those who are able to cut in a straight line (I'm challenged). Remove the remaining chair covers as you did the first one.

Place your first cushion in the middle of the cut fabric and place the wooden bottom on top. Another genius Patrick tip: FLIP the wooden board over. This was crucial for us as some of the screw holes were stripped on the original side. I marked the spots for the new holes on the flipped side and got to stapling! My first tango with the staple gun which made this extremely exciting! Staple down each side and work with the corners to get rid of pleats (or to get them to look how you want). Then reattach the seats to the chair frames, and voila! New look for under $40!


Check back this month when I post a few other Pinterest inspired pieces of artwork that I'm attempting!

Leave your thoughts in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment