Monday, February 11, 2013

The United State of Winos and Wannabees

Hosting a wine party is like staking a claim on your level of pretension.

So, we hosted a wine party fit for winos and wannabes of all levels of alcoholism... and it was a great success. The key to hosting a successful wine party is to cater to the connoisseur and the not-so-connoisseurs. You have to give the wannabes incentive to act like a pretentious wine snob and enough quality and knowledge to satiate the true wine snob's hunger. I think we achieved just that.

The Game
I'm convinced that the game was the turning point in our party atmosphere. We researched each wine purchased and recorded the professional tasting notes on a white board. I then created a home made aroma kit so that each participant could pour a bit into tiny cups for reference material. This was a crucial part of our wine tasting because, in my experience, I usually notice that the first sip of wine is fabulous... and not much else. Before I know it, wines are usually being guzzled quickly and my ability to taste any other wine is diminished... which is not the point in a wine tasting (apparently). So, this game incentivized our guests to distinguish between a smoky chocolatey cabernet and a jammy pinot. Perfect.

The Knowledge
I appointed my wonderfully smart significant other to research and retain the knowledge required to talk about each wine's region, grape, and varietal. (I didn't dare tax myself with this responsibility plus I had more creative endeavors, like creating a tasting note board and a food menu.)

The Food
There many components to a dish that can compliment a particular wine, from herbs and spices, to the type of protein, to the oils and vinegars or condiments used. And of course cheeses.  Using our local wine store's catalogue, I was able to come up with a menu that was as progressive as the chosen wines. (FYI Tempranillo goes wonderfully with Trader Joe's chicken tacos.)

The Company
In any party, no matter the dollar spent or the theme produced, the night can go terribly off course if the company is less than superb. We nailed it.

Not to toot my own horn, but as far as winging a wine party, we pulled it off pretty well. You can pretty much do a tasting with anything you put in your mouth. (edibles...you perve) We had some great ideas from our friends about whiskey tastings and beer tastings... and I am HOPING a tequila tasting because we want to see some clothes come off! (err maybe)






No comments:

Post a Comment